News release from 17/05/2018
Have your say on revised proposals for new town north of Waterbeach
Residents and businesses are being encouraged to comment on revised proposals for part of the planned new town north of Waterbeach.
Developers Urban and Civic are working on the western half of proposals for the new community.
These proposals include 6,500 homes and facilities on former Ministry of Defence land. They also plan for shops, offices, schools, community centres, healthcare, nurseries, library space, places of worship, a museum, hotel, open space, health and fitness areas and park and ride facilities.
Urban and Civic submitted their outline plans for the development to South Cambridgeshire District Council in early 2017. Some revisions have been made to these plans, which are now the subject of a round of public consultation lasting until Thursday 14 June.
The revised documents include:
- Revisions to some of the building heights on the edges of the development as part of the Parameter Plan
- A revised Transport Assessment to reflect mitigation measures sought by the County Council and align with the Ely – Cambridge Transport study
- Revised principles in the Design and Access Statement to help shape the character of the new town
- Additional information to support the Environmental Statement
- An updated Green Infrastructure Strategy, a document about community open space, biodiversity and landscaping
- A new Sports and Recreation Strategy
- An updated Utilities and Physical Infrastructure Statement, following work with utility service providers
Stephen Kelly, South Cambridgeshire District Council’s Joint Director of Planning and Economic Development, said: “I’d encourage residents and businesses in Waterbeach to have their say on these amended proposals. It’s quick and easy to register your views on our website. Everyone’s comments are welcome and will be taken into account.”
The planning application covers part of the land that is proposed to be allocated as the site for a new town in South Cambridgeshire’s emerging Local Plan. Proposed modifications to this Local Plan were the subject of a public consultation earlier this year, and responses to that consultation are now being analysed by a Government Planning Inspector.
A Supplementary Planning Document, which will give more detail on how the new town should be planned and delivered, is being put together by South Cambridgeshire District Council officers following consultation with the local community.
Visit the planning application part of our website and use the reference number S/0559/17/OL to view the revised plans and have your say. Search for documents marked ‘AMENDED 16/05/2018’ to view the full range of revised plans.