Launch of Village Design Statements project
We recently won funding from Government, to help between six to eight villages prepare community-led Village Design Statements.
We will use this funding to:
- Run workshops with your community, led by expert facilitators and design consultants
- Capture your community design priorities in a well-written, visually led document with maps and graphics
- Work with you to review and finalise this document.
- Adopt your Village Design Statement as a Supplementary Planning Document
The aim is to help communities capture what is distinctive about their physical environment, and how they would like the design of new developments to respond to local character.
Village design statements can:
- Give your community the words and drawings to describe what is special about where you live
- Ensure that our planners understand your priorities correctly
- Help you respond more confidently to new development proposals, and to assess if they fit your priorities
- Involve all parts of your community in exploring how you would like your village to look in the future
- Become adopted policy as part of our new Local Plan, ensuring that they have legal weight.
Village Design Statements and Neighbourhood Plans
Village Design Statements can form part of a Neighbourhood Plan, if that is something that your community is already developing.
They can help your Neighbourhood Plan team map and analyse both the existing character of your village, and what future development might look like.
Find out more
We want to tell you more about this project, how you can apply for your village to participate, and the benefits it can bring to your community.
Come to our launch event to:
- Hear from other villages who have developed similar guidance, and learn from their experiences
- Find out how your community can participate in this project
- Learn what is involved in developing a Village Design Statement
- Meet the team who are running the project and ask any questions you may have
Community and parish council representatives are invited to our launch event on Tuesday 26 June from 6pm to 8pm in our Council Chamber at South Cambs Hall, our offices at Cambourne Business Park. The post code is CB23 6EA. Parking is available on-site.
It is necessary to register for this event, as spaces are limited. Register by sending an email to our Special Projects Officer, Hana Loftus, via firstname.lastname@example.org