Report environmental crime online

You can help us keep the streets clean and stop fly-tipping, graffiti, dumped cars and other envirocrime spoiling our neighbourhood.

Where we spot an envirocrime, or it has been reported to us, we will investigate the issue.

Collection and clear up may not happen immediately while we check the facts and work to deter future envirocrime.

Help us take action on envirocrime by making sure your rubbish is disposed of legally and responsibly, without being hazardous to health or harming the environment. If somebody offers to take rubbish away for you, make sure they are licensed to do so by checking their waste carrier's licence online.

For information about abandoned vehicles please see our web page. 

To view the associated fees relating to abandoned vehicles, please see our web page.

Considerate dog owners are always welcome in the South Cambridgeshire; please clear up after your dog to keep it a pleasant place for everybody.

You can use any plastic bag to pick up your dog's waste and put it in one of the dog waste bins or litter bins. Dog waste from your garden can be double-bagged and placed in your domestic waste bin.

It is important for all dog owners to take responsibility for cleaning up after their animal as, not only is it unpleasant to look at and even more unpleasant to step in, it can pose a health risk. For example, Toxocariasis is a rare infection caused by roundworms in the digestive tracts of dogs. It can cause headaches, eye problems and fever in humans if they come into contact with it.

If you spot a dog fouling problem, you can report it to us using our online form.

We can fine those who fail to pick up after their dog £50, so please ensure you have bags or poop scoops with you every time you walk your dog.

Fly tipping is the illegal and unauthorised disposal of waste. It can vary from as little as a single bag of household rubbish, to large quantities of waste and domestic items such as furniture and fridges.

We will remove fly tipping from public land. If the fly-tip is on private property then it is the land owner / occupier who must arrange for it to be removed.

We will investigate reports of fly-tipping and seek to take enforcement action against offenders. We can issue a fixed penalty notice of £400 to anyone who fly-tips, or in court the fly-tipper may face a fine of up to £50,000 and imprisonment.

If fly-tipping involves the use of a vehicle, both the driver and registered owner can be prosecuted. The police have powers to seize vehicles used for fly-tipping.

You can report fly tipping to us using our online form.

If you see somebody fly tipping please take note of as many details as you can but be cautious.

Useful information includes:

Description of the people
Vehicle details
What you saw being fly-tipped
When and where you saw it happen

Fly-posting is the display of adverts or other promotional materials on buildings or street furniture and is not permitted by the council.

It can be difficult and expensive to remove and makes an area look untidy and uncared for.

You can report fly posting to us using our online form.

The following information will help us deal with the fly-posting as quickly as possible:

Exact location
Approximate size and number of posters or flyers
Details of the event or business being advertised

Graffiti is an illegal and anti-social activity that can create a negative impression of an area and contribute to people's fear of crime.

We will remove graffiti from council property. You can report graffiti to us using our online form.

If you have graffiti on your private property, it is your responsibility to remove it as soon as possible.

Offenders can be prosecuted under the Criminal Damage Act 1971. The penalties if found guilty include a jail sentence if the offender is over the age of 18 years, a detention and training order for young offenders or a heavy fine.

If you drop litter, you could receive an £150 fixed penalty notice or be taken to court and fined up to £2,500.

Litter includes cigarette butts, crisp packets, cans and other discarded items – it is unsightly, attracts vermin, and makes an area looked uncared for.

Our enforcement officers work around the district, and if littering is witnessed, will take action where necessary.

You should tell us if you see someone littering. Please provide as much information as possible, such as what happened, where it happened, a description of the person dropping litter and their vehicle, if applicable. Do not confront the person yourself.

You can report littering to us using our online form.

Help prevent fly-tipping by disposing of your rubbish in the right way. There are two Household Waste and Recycling Centres in the South Cambridgeshire that can be used to dispose of household rubbish. For information on what you can take to these centres and addresses, please visit Cambridgeshire County Council.

We offer a bulky household waste collection service from households. There is a small charge to cover the cost of collection but the service can be used to dispose of items such as wardrobes, bed frames and white goods.

If you decide to use a company to remove rubbish from your property, you should ensure they are a registered waste carrier. Ask for their waste carrier licence number and check it through the Environment Agency's register.

This is equally important for businesses as you should be using a registered waste carrier for all commercial waste and be in receipt of a Waste Transfer Note.

Useful Pages

Street care and cleaning
Trade waste services
bulky item collection service

Was this web page helpful?

The form contains errors