My South Cambs:
Sign in/Register

Single person discount information (SPD)

If you are the only adult living in a property that is classified as your main home then you may qualify for a 25% discount on your Council tax bill.

If you would like to apply for Single Person Discount please complete this online application.

Before completing this form, please make sure that you have your Council Tax account number (starting 1010) to hand.


Main residence

For most people, it is easy to determine their main residence as there is only one property which fulfils all the following criteria:

  • They own or rent
  • They can sleep at
  • That they are registered for elections at
  • That is used as a postal address
  • That their partner and children live at
  • They keep their belongings at

The above factors are the issues we are instructed to consider in order to determine someone’s sole or main residence by Council Tax Case Law.


Why might someone be disregarded?

Normally, two adults living within a property would mean a 100% council tax charge, however a discount can be applied if we can disregard some of the adults to bring the number below two.

For example, if you have two adults living in a property and one of them is a full-time student or an apprentice, they can be disregarded and a 25% discount can be applied.


I have a Partner or Spouse occupying another property, am I still entitled to SPD?

Usually, a couple are considered to be living together. We would determine one property to be the main residence for both, even if they own or rent separate properties. An absence by either person is likely to be seen as temporary, for example:

  • If one person works away during the week.
  • If one person works abroad but returns during non-working periods.
  • If one person is serving in the armed forces but returns to the property during leave. (If the serving member of the forces serves a tour of duty, they may be entitled to a rebate through their expenses. Please contact the relevant military personnel who deals with expenses for further information)

In the above instances the full Council tax charge would be applied.


The Application process

With all applications, we verify the information received to ensure that the correct requirements are met. In some instances we may require further information or evidence.

Once the application has been verified we will apply the discount to the account and we will then send you a revised bill confirming the change. We are usually able to apply the discount within 3 weeks however this may vary depending on our volume of work.


Cancelling Single Person Discount

If you cease to be the only person aged 18 or over living in the property, please complete our change of circumstances online form. You may be liable for a penalty if you fail to inform us of the change.

Was this web page helpful?