My South Cambs:
Sign in/Register

Disabled or Vulnerable Persons and Carers

There are a number of disregards, exemptions and discounts which might be appropriate for disabled and vulnerable people, and those who care for them.

Properties which are used by or adapted for a disabled person

If a property was originally designed or has been adapted to meet the needs of a resident’s disability, it can be discounted to the Council Tax Band below. 

Please see our Disabled Band Reduction page more information.


Leaving your home empty to give or receive care elsewhere

If you leave your home unoccupied for any of the below reasons, your property can be given an exemption for Council Tax.

  • An unoccupied property where the resident has moved permanently to receive care in a Hospital or Care Home.
  • A Property that is unoccupied, as the resident has moved permanently to receive care elsewhere (for example, with relatives. Sometimes this can cover sheltered accommodation as well).
  • A property that is unoccupied because the only resident has moved elsewhere to provide care for someone else, therefore changing their main residence.

Please notify us that someone has moved to receive care.


People who have Severe Mental Impairment

  • Those who are diagnosed with an impairment of intelligence and social functioning, however caused, which appears to be permanent, can be disregarded for Council Tax Purposes.

To receive the disregard, a person must be certified as eligible by a Registered Medical Practitioner, and they must be entitled to an appropriate benefit (these include Attendance Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Daily Living Component of PIP and Disability Living Allowance - contact us for a full list of relevant benefits).

  • If a property is occupied by one or more people, and all those occupants are Severely Mentally Impaired - then the property can be exempt from Council Tax.



  • If you are a carer for someone who you live with, you provide them with care for at least 35 hours per week on average, and are not a disqualified relative (their partner or their parent if they are under 18) you can be disregarded, provided they are in receipt of certain benefits.

(these include Attendance Allowance, Daily Living Component of PIP and the highest or middle rate care component of Disability Living Allowance - contact us for a full list of relevant benefits).

  • Certain carers who provide care or support on behalf of a Local Authority or Charity, or are introduced by a Charity, might also be disregarded.


Dependant Relatives in an Annexe

Where a second dwelling in a single property (an annexe for example) is occupied by a dependent relative, that annexe might be exempt from Council Tax.

  • They would need to be dependent due to age (if they are at least 65 years old), disability, or drug or alcohol dependence).


Other residents who may be disregarded

  • Someone detained in prison, or under the Mental Health Act 1983. Please notify us of someone being detained.
  • Residents in a care home or hospital who receive care (this is for the benefit of the care home or hospital).
  • A resident who is receiving permanent care in a care home or hospital is no longer considered to have their main residence at their home address, so if there is only one adult left at the home address, single person discount might be appropriate.
  • Someone who is homeless can be disregarded if they are occupying a hostel.


I think I am entitled to a discount or exemption, what should I do now?

If you think you may be entitled to a discount, you should contact the Revenues Team on or call us on 03450 450 064

You will need to continue to pay your Council Tax as per your instalments until a discount or exemption is granted.

Was this web page helpful?