Council Tax banding and new build properties

I am a Property Developer - how do I notify you that I have sold a new property?

Notify us about your new build

Please ensure you have the new owners' details to hand, as these will be required on the form. If you have any queries, please contact us on 0345 045 0064.

I have just moved into a New Build property - how do I register for Council Tax?

Banding your property is the responsibility of the Valuations Office Agency, and it can take time once reported for your property to be given a band. Once that happens, we can then issue you with your Council Tax bill.

To start making payments on your Council Tax (and to avoid getting a larger bill once your property is officially banded) we can issue you with a Provisional Banding, which estimates the band your property will be in, and we can then send you a bill for you to start making payments.

  1. You must notify us by filling out our online moving form to tell us that you've purchased a property, started a tenancy there, or have moved in.
  2. Provisional Bandings are voluntary but we would encourage you to request one, as it's a good way of spreading the cost until your property is officially banded. Once this is done, if your band goes up or down, we will adjust your future instalments accordingly, so you will not pay more than you should.

What is my Council Tax band and how is this decided?

Bands are set by the Valuation Office Agency, which is part of HM Revenue & Customs. You can use their online banding search to identify the banding for your property.

Properties have been allocated to one of eight bands according to their open market capital value as of 1 April 1991. Your Council Tax bill states which band applies to your property.

Scroll for more

Valuation Band

Range of Values £

Proportion of Band D Tax Payable

A Up to and including £40,000 6/9
B £40,001 to £52,000 7/9
C £52,001 to £68,000 8/9
D £68,001 to £88,000 1
E £88,001 to £120,000 11/9
F £120,001 to £160,000 13/9
G £160,001 to £320,000 15/9
H More than £320,000 2

Can I appeal the band my property is in?

The grounds for appeal about banding are restricted to the following cases:

  • Where you believe that the banding should be changed because there has been a material increase or material reduction (this is explained below) in the value of your property.
  • Where you start or stop using part of your home to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes.
  • Where the Valuation Officer has altered the banding without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer.
  • Where you become the taxpayer in respect of a property for the first time (your appeal must be made within 6 months, but if a Valuation Tribunal has already made a decision on the same appeal, it cannot be made again).

What are material increases and reductions?

A material increase in value may result from building, engineering or other work carried out on the property. In these cases, revaluation does not take place until after a sale or when a national revaluation exercise takes place - so the person appealing would normally be the new owner or resident.

A material reduction in value may result from the demolition of any part of the property, a change in the physical state of the local area or adaptation to make the property suitable for use by someone with a physical disability. In these cases, revaluation should take place as soon as possible.

How do I appeal?

Appeals about banding should be sent directly to the Valuation Office Agency who can be contacted by:

  • Post: Listing Officer, Council Tax East, Valuation Office Agency, Ground Floor, Ferrars House, Castle Meadow Road, Nottingham NG2 1AB.
  • Telephone: 03000 501 501
  • Email: