Trees in conservation areas

Before starting work on trees in conservation areas

If you live in a conservation area and are planning to carry out work on any trees, legally you must give us six weeks written notice before work begins.

Before work begins

Customers are encouraged to make tree work applications using the Planning Portal The end result is that there is less likely to be any delays over the processing of your application.

Alternatively, you can make your application manually using the form available and please use the guidance notes here to help you. If you are making an application manually please either send it by email to or send it by post.

If you need to find out if trees are protected by a TPO or Conservation Area, please view the planning maps on the our website. TPOs are shown as bright blue shapes and Conservation Areas are surrounded by a pink line. Either side of this pink line will be inside the Conservation Area or outside of it. Please be sure to check what side of this line the trees are because it can be easy to get this wrong. TIP – If you untick the ‘applications’ layer it will make the map much clearer by removing all of the planning application red plotting lines.

If you are employing a tree surgeon, they may be able to make the application on your behalf.

What next?

We will consider your application and let you know if the planned works can go ahead. In some circumstances, we may serve a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) to protect a tree(s). If we do this, we will explain exactly why we have done this and what the TPO means.


Carrying out work on protected trees without our consent is a criminal offence. It can lead to prosecution with fines of up to £20,000. In serious cases offenders may be dealt with by the Crown Court, where an unlimited fine can be imposed.

Guidance about trees and the Law from the Department for Communities and Local Government.


Contact Details