Commercial waste and recycling collection service
South Cambridgeshire District Council offers a full commercial recycling and waste collection service to all businesses.
The council provides an excellent reliable competitively priced service. We also provide free information and guidance to maintain your business compliance with current waste legislation.
Please see our trade waste and recycling service leaflet commercial waste and recycling service leaflet for more information on the services we provide.
We collect mixed recycling in green or purple bins, which includes:
- food tins, drinks cans and aerosols
- paper and cardboard
- plastic bottles, pots, tubs and trays
- glass bottles and jars
- plastic bags, clean film and wrapping
If bin storage is a problem, we can discuss providing a smaller mixed recycling bin, reducing the size of your general waste bin or providing purple sacks.
General waste is collected in blue or black bins. Most non-recyclable commercial waste can be put into these bins, with the exception of heavy or dangerous substances such as rubble, clinical or electrical waste.
If storage is a problem, we can discuss the possibility of using blue commercial waste bags.
You need to know exactly what you pay for and importantly what you don't.
There is 'No VAT to pay'. We charge for the 'bin lift' only and there are no hidden extras.
The council makes no extra charge for:
- Administration of contracts
- Duty of Care
- Container rental
- Waste Pre-Treatment
- Landfill tax
- Or other 'ad-hoc' cost e.g. fuel increases
You may be paying some or all of the above subsequent to your initial quote without knowing!
Commercial waste container range:
- 1100 litre Continental
- 660 litre Continental
- 360 litre wheeled bin
- 240 litre wheeled bin
- Grey trade sacks
What is the cost of this service?
Information on any of the services, including quotes, can be obtained by contacting:
John Caulkett - Commercial Waste and Recycling Officer
Telephone: 01954 713496
Mobile: 07515 187330
It is important to divert as much business waste as possible away from landfill and the trade recycling service enables businesses to recycle the following materials: glass jars & bottles, paper, cardboard, tin foil & foil trays, aerosols, cartons (e.g. Tetra Pak), food & drinks cans, plastic bottles, plastic packaging (pots, trays & tubs), plastic film and plastic bags.
Are you complying with the relevant legislation?
Duty of Care is a law which requires all businesses, whatever size, take all reasonable steps to keep waste safe:
- Waste must be stored safely, securely and must not cause pollution to people or the environment.
- Waste must be contained in a suitable container, i.e. waste cannot fall out, blow away or escape from the receptacle.
- All businesses must ensure that the person or company removing waste is either a local authority or licensed waste carrier and that the waste is being taken to a facility permitted by the Environment Agency.
- Businesses must provide a written description of the waste to the person who removes it. This is know as a waste transfer note and must be completed by both persons involved in the transfer.
It is illegal and a breach of Duty of Care to:
- Take business waste to a Household Waste Recycling Centre e.g. Milton or Thriplow
- Present business waste out for collection by the domestic crew
- Fly tip waste
- Burn waste
Breaches of Duty of Care may result in a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) or a fine.
Please note that Business Rate charge does not cover the removal of waste from business premises.
We are happy to visit your business to discuss the service that best meets your needs, budget and storage facilities.