Repairs and maintenance information

How to Report a Repair:

To report a repair ring our Freephone repairs hotline on 0800 085 1313

 When you report a repair please be ready to give the following information:

  • Property address
  • Your name
  • Details of when the Council's representative can gain access to your property
  • A contact telephone number
  • Email address if appropriate
  • Full details of the repair being requested

Where damage has been caused with intent e.g. vandalism, burglary you must first obtain a Police Incident Number before reporting the damage to Housing Services, as this number is required at the time of reporting the repair.

In instances of accidental damage e.g. cracked wash hand basin, broken WC pan, this will be the tenants responsibility to repair / renew.

Repair response times

Category of repairResponse time
Emergency (in office hours)*Complete within 24 hours
Emergency (out of office hours)*Attend within 2 hours / Complete within 24 hours
Urgent repairs (non-emergency)Complete within 5 working days
Non-urgent repair requestsComplete within 20 working days
Other repair requestsAd-hoc as requested/project/planned

*An emergency is one or more of the following; a total loss of electric power or water supply, a blocked, leaking or non-flushing toilet when there is only one in the house, a water mains leak or an insecure ground floor window, door or lock. 

Repair responsibilities

We have a landlord’s duty to carry out certain repairs and maintenance and maintain our properties in a safe condition and good working order. You are responsible for keeping your home in a reasonable and clean condition. You are also responsible for keeping the inside of your home in a good decorative state.

The repairs you are responsible for generally include:

  • your own bathroom floor coverings
  • your own kitchen floor coverings
  • reglazing within your home (unless crime number given)
  • chipped baths, sinks and wash hand basins
  • minor hairline plaster cracks
  • infestation (such as rodents, wasps and other insects)
  • deliberate damage to your front door (The Council will repair if it has been reported to the police and there is a crime reference number)
  • deliberate damage to bath panels
  • replacement of bath/sink plugs
  • washing lines (unless communal)
  • any domestic appliance
  • loose internal door handles
  • blown fuses
  • your own built-in wardrobes
  • toilet seats inclusive of all fittings (except for older (75 years and over) and disabled people)
  • your own shower
  • shaver lights and battery operated smoke alarms
  • aerials
  • all works associated with ‘lock outs’ - getting access, replacing locks and keys
  • bleeding air from radiators
  • draught excluders to doors and windows
  • garden maintenance including trees and hedges (unless there is a risk to health and safety)
  • additional security
  • clearing blocked kitchen sinks, hand basins and baths
  • all repairs associated with your own appliances
  • all repairs caused by your misuse, neglect, damage and/or the same caused by visitors, family and pets
  • maintenance and repair of any additional fittings that you have installed
  • door bells unless part of a communal door entry system
  • internal doors - it is very important that you keep to current safety standards and do not remove internal doors
  • light bulbs, fluorescent tubes and starters
  • curtain rails
  • fences, unless these form an external boundary onto a road or footpath
  • your own garden sheds and patios
  • your own fireplace surrounds

Rechargeable Repairs

Any repairs undertaken that are the tenants responsibility, whether it be damage/misuse or agreed tenant responsibility works, a recharge invoice will be raised to recover the costs.

The Right to Repair

This is a government scheme that lists 20 common repairs (called qualifying repairs) and sets a prescribed period (number of working days) in which they must be completed. If we do not complete the repair within the prescribed period you have the right to ask us to get a second contractor. You may also be entitled to compensation in certain circumstances.

If an inspection is needed, we are allowed extra time. If the inspection identifies the need for major works, this is no longer covered under the right to repair and you will be given more details on the target time for completion. The qualifying repairs must be our responsibility; that is, not caused through misuse. We will recharge you if the repair is found to be your responsibility. The contact centre will determine the priority of repairs at the point of reporting. Priority will be given to vulnerable groups such as older people (over 75 years of age), disabled people and people with young children (0-5 years of age).

5 Year Housing Maintenance Plan

This document sets out the Council’s plans for maintenance expenditure over the next five years based on known budgets at this time. Any changes in future years will obviously have an effect on the programmes shown below.

 The Council remains firmly committed to the delivery of an excellent repairs and maintenance service, and will continue to maintain its properties in a good condition and to improve them in line with tenants’ aspirations and expectations.



Action on Energy

South Cambridgeshire District Council has joined forces with the other Cambridgeshire councils to launch Action on Energy Cambridgeshire to help homeowners and private sector tenants and landlords keep warm, save money on heating bills and improve their home energy rating.

Improvements you arrange yourself

How do I request permission?

You need to fill in the Tenants Permission for Alterations Form

Please note that you must include with this Application a set of plans / diagrams showing your property before and after the proposed alterations or improvements have been carried out.

What happens next?

After receiving your request, we will check your rent account to make sure you do not have any arrears. If you are in arrears, permission will not be granted. You will need to re-apply once the rent account is clear. We will reply within 10 working days of receipt of your letter to inform you of our decision.

If permission is granted you must notify your housing services officer on completion of works, in order for arrangements to be made to inspect the alterations.

If you have carried out any improvements and later decide to buy your home, the work you have done will not increase the price of your home.

If you have carried out any improvements with our permission and want to move, you may be able to claim compensation under the government’s compensation for improvements scheme.

If you want to move and have altered the layout of the property or made any additions without our permission you may be required to remove them and return the property to its original condition. You may also be recharged for any further work we are required to do as a result.



Contact Details