High hedges complaints

If you are having an issue with a neighbour's high hedges, you must try to resolve the problem with them informally before we can become involved. More information is outlined in the Government's resolving neighbour disputes guidelines.

How do I make a complaint?

If you haven't been able to settle your hedge dispute informally, you can ask us to consider your complaint if the hedge:

  • is a line of two or more evergreen or semi-evergreen trees/shrubs
  • is over two metres high
  • acts as a barrier to light or access
  • adversely affects your reasonable enjoyment of your home due to its height

We currently charge £450 to consider high hedge complaints.

Complaints must be made using our official forms :

High hedge complaint form

High hedge complaint form guidance notes

What happens once a complaint is made?

We will visit the site to take hedge measurements and other details. If we decide that action should be taken, we will send a formal 'Remedial Notice' to the hedge owner outlining what they need to do and by when.

Both you and the hedge owner have the right to appeal our decision.

Contact Details