There are a number of Council Tax discounts available and each application is assessed on its own merits. If you think you or someone you know might qualify for one of these, please contact us (on 0345 045 0064) for more information and an application. A list of available discounts can be found below.

Who does Council Tax take into account?

The full council tax bill assumes that there are two adults living in your property. This is composed of a 50% property element and 50% personal element (25% for each of the 2 adults).

What if there aren't two adults living in my property?

  • If there are more than 2 adults in a property the charge does not change.
  • If there is only one adult resident the charge can be reduced by 25%. If this applies to you, you can complete an online form here,or download the Single Person Discount Application Form.
  • If all of the adult residents in a property are disregarded the bill can be reduced by 50%.

The following adults can be disregarded for council tax purposes:

  • Full time students and student nurses. If this applies to you, download the  student discount application form.
  • Apprentices can also be disregarded provided that the conditions set out in the council tax legislation are satisfied.
  • 18 and 19 year olds who are at or who have just left school and for whom Child Benefit is still payable.
  • Members of visiting forces and certain international institutions.
  • People caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18.
  • People who are being looked after in nursing and residential care homes.
  • Patients permanently resident in hospital.
  • People who are severely mentally impaired.
  • Care workers working for low pay, usually for charities.
  • People staying in certain hostels or night shelters.
  • Members of religious communities (monks or nuns).
  • People in prison (except those in prison for non - payment of council tax or a fine).
  • People who are diplomats.

Annexe Discount

From the 1 April 2014 this list also includes a 50% reduction in the amount of council tax payable in respect of:

  • Annexes which are unoccupied provided that the annexe is used as part of the main residence OR
  • Annexes which are occupied provided the occupant(s) are related to the the person liable to pay the council tax in respect of the main dwelling. 

If a non-family member occupies an annexe then the discount will not apply.

If you would like to apply for this discount please print and complete the Annexe discount application form and return it to the Revenues Department at this Council. Annexe Discount.pdf

Second homes

From the 1 April 2013 Council Tax legislation has been changed by Central Government with local Councils setting the level of discount given on certain types of property. 

Following consultation with local residents and property owners the 10% discount in respect of furnished second homes will end. This means that full council tax will now be payable on this type of property.

Job related Discount

If you have to live in a different property because it is a condition of your job you may get a 50% discount. This includes members of HM Services and members of the clergy. This applies where your main residence has changed and we will take various factors into account in order to determine main residence in each individual case. Both properties must be in England, Scotland or Wales. If you think that this applies to you please print and complete the job-related second home form and send it to the Revenues Department at this Council. Job-related Second Home form .pdf

Disabled Band Reduction

This is a scheme which aims to ensure that disabled people do not pay more because they live in a larger property than they would have needed if they were not disabled.

  • A disabled person in this context means someone who is substantially and permanently disabled. The person can be an adult or child, and does not need to be the person responsible for paying the council tax.

The requirements for the reduction are:

The property must be the main residence of at least one disabled person and it must have at least one of the following features:

  • A room predominantly used by, and required by the disabled person to meet their needs (other than a single bathroom, kitchen or toilet) OR,
  • An additional bathroom or kitchen for use by the disabled person OR,
  • Extra space inside the property to allow for the use of a wheelchair.

The room does not need to have been specially built for the disabled person, but the room or wheelchair must be of major importance to the well-being of the disabled person, due to the nature and extent of their disability.

The discount available is equivalent to paying one band lower. For example, a band E property would be charged as if it were in band D. If your property is already in the lowest band (band A), your bill will be reduced by one-ninth.

If you feel you might be eligible, please email us at to request an application, or call us on 03450 450 064.

If you are granted the reduction, and then at a later date the disabled person’s main residence changes to a different property, you must tell us as the discount may no longer apply.

I think I am entitled to a discount/full exemption, what should I do now?

If you think you may be entitled to a discount, you should contact the Revenues Department at or call us on 03450 450 064 (8am to 5:30pm, Mon - Fri, except Bank Holidays).

There has been a change in my/our circumstances:

If your bill indicates that a discount has been allowed, you must tell us of any change in your circumstances which could affect your entitlement, e.g. a second resident becomes 18. Please contact us on 03450 450 064 or email

If you fail to inform us you may be required to pay a penalty.

Contact Details