Conservation Areas are defined as 'areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance'.
If your property is within a Conservation Area you may need Planning Permission for some works which would otherwise not need permission. This may include demolition of buildings and boundary walls, and alterations or additions such as side extensions and satellite dishes. Please seek advice from the Duty Planner.
You can check if your property is in a Conservation Area using the planning search map.
South Cambridgeshire has 85 Conservation Areas. The Conservation Areas Schedule details which parishes have Conservation Areas and gives some basic information about them. Maps of some of the Conservation Areas are included in the Adopted Proposals Map which is split into areas and villages.
Conservation Area Appraisals describe the character and significance of Conservation Areas, and give recommendations for their conservation and enhancement. Fifteen have been completed to date. There is a programme for producing Appraisals for the District's Conservation Areas. Appraisals take a substantial amount of resources and time, so progress is gradual and the programme will take a number of years to complete. Parishes may want to consider whether they could sponsor an Appraisal.
- Baits Bite Lock - adopted 08.08.06
- Duxford Airfield - adopted 24.05.07
- Fen Ditton - adopted 09.03.06
- Fulbourn - adopted 16.01.08
- Gt Shelford - adopted 12.09.07
- Horningsea - adopted 09.03.06
- Longstanton - adopted 22.09.05
- Lt Gransden - adopted 09.03.06
- Oakington - adopted 22.09.05
- Papworth Everard - adopted 08.07.11
- Rampton - adopted 27.10.05
- Sawston - adopted 12.09.07
- Swavesey - adopted 08.06.06
- Teversham - adopted 08.06.06
- Westwick - adopted 22.09.05
- All of our appraisals are available for inspection at our headquarters in Cambourne and copies have been sent local Parish Councils and are available in local libraries.
- Please email email@example.com for more information or to discuss a specific appraisal.
Supporting key documents
- Development Affecting Conservation Areas Supplementary Planning Document
- Conservation Areas Guide
- Guidance on the Heritage Information to be Submitted with Applications
- District Design Guide: