Changes to bin collections this Christmas and New Year
Residents in Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire are being urged to check their bin collection dates this festive season as the regular collection days are changing due to the extended bank holidays.
The revised collection dates in Cambridge City are:
- Regular Monday to Thursday collections from Christmas and into the first week of the New Year will be two days later than normal.
- Thursday collections due on 29 December and 5 January will be done on Saturday 31 December and 7 January respectively.
- Friday collections falling on 30 December and 6 January are scheduled for Tuesday 3 January and Monday 9 January respectively.
- All collections during the week starting on Monday 9 January will be one day later with collections due on Friday 13 January now scheduled for Saturday 14 January.
Normal schedule resumes in Cambridge city on Monday 16 January.
The collections in South Cambridgeshire are:
- Black bins due for collection on Monday 26 December will be four days earlier on Thursday 22 December.
- Blue bins due for collection on Monday 26 December will be three days early on Friday 23 December.
- Collections due on Tuesday 27 December until Friday 6 January will take place one day later
- Friday collections due on 30 December and 6 January scheduled for Saturday 31 December and 7 January respectively.
From Monday 9 January the bin collections in South Cambridgeshire will revert to the regular pattern.
Cllr Peter Roberts, Executive Councillor for Environmental Services and City Centre, said: “At Christmas, we consume enough card packaging to cover Big Ben nearly 260,000 times. So we are encouraging residents to recycle as much as possible, as there is always much more waste at this festive time of year. Why not make it your New Year’s resolution to reduce waste and recycle more? For example, wasting less food is beneficial not only for the environment but also for our pockets. And with the recycling options we have at homes and at recycling points and centres, we can recycle most of the waste generated by households.”
Cllr Mark Howell, South Cambridgeshire District Council’s cabinet member for Environmental Services, said: “People should be aware that bin collection days move over Christmas. We've issued bin cards to households that have their bins emptied on Mondays to advise them of the Boxing Day collection being moved forward. If you are still unsure, please check our website. I hope everyone does their bit to recycle even more during the festive period using their household blue and green bins and local recycling centres.”
For information about bin collections visit www.cambridge.gov.uk/bins and www.scambs.gov.uk/services/bins