Call for community hero nominations
South Cambridgeshire residents can now make their nominations for the Council’s eighth annual Community Awards, which highlight people and organisations at the heart of their neighbourhoods.
Councillors are urging residents to put forward their selections for each category now, so the winners can receive the recognition they deserve.
There are six award categories this year, including:
- Village Hero – for an outstanding individual’s contributions to community life.
- Parish Councillor of the Year - for great work carried out by parish councillors, giving their time to improve the local community for everyone
- Outstanding Youth Initiative - for excellent work by youth groups and local businesses to support young people in South Cambridgeshire
- Outstanding Local Service/Amenity - for amazing services provided by local shops, pubs, post offices, libraries, and many more
- Environment Award - for the valuable contribution made by groups who seek to improve villages for residents in the long and short term
- Wellbeing Award - for the many groups improving residents’ health and wellbeing, both mental and physical
Cllr Mark Howell, the South Cambridgeshire District Council Cabinet Member who is overseeing the awards, said: “This is a brilliant way of championing the people or organisations that contribute so much to South Cambridgeshire.
“It’s a terrific way to say, ‘thank you’ to those who give up hour after hour of their own time to making our area a better place to live.
“So, have a think about who always goes the extra mile where you live, and put their name forward!”
At the last awards ceremony, held back in March this year, Martin Sebborn from Toft took home the ‘Village Hero’ prize, for his work organising several village events including the annual fireworks display, film club, beer and cider festival, camera club and the area’s Speedwatch group.
Martin was nominated for the award by Jeanne McCarten of Toft Parish Council, who said: “We felt it was important to recognise the enormous contribution Martin has made over many years to community events.
“Toft residents were delighted to see Martin win the award and we are justifiably proud that Toft residents have won the Village Hero award two years running!
“Nominating people for a Community Award is a nice public way of saying ‘thank you – we really appreciate what you do.’ We shall be discussing our next nominations soon and have some ideas.”
To make a nomination, visit this part of the South Cambridgeshire District Council website.
Nominations must be received by 19 January 2018.
A panel of Councillors and Officers will judge all nominations received, before the awards are presented at a special ceremony at South Cambridgeshire Hall on Thursday 8 March 2018.
All nominees will be invited to the presentation evening.