Warm Homes and Energy Efficiency Advice

Stay warm this winter 

For simple advice on Energy bills:

Home Improvement Agency (HIA)

Cambs Home Improvement Agency (HIA)

  • Cambs HIA, previously knowns as Home Aid
  • Provides advise, support and assistance to Elderly, disabled and vulnerable person who own and live in their own and live-in property or those privately renting or housing association accommodation.
  • Help to maintain, repair or adapt their homes by providing practical or financial advice and support to enable them to remain in their homes in greater comfort and safety.

Winter Appeal Grant

  • This winter, the appeal needs the help of the local community more than ever. The fuel crisis is set to take hold of the nation and one in eight homes in Cambridgeshire live in fuel poverty, meaning that they spend more than 10% of their income on fuel. This will lead to the terrible choice for many “eat or heat” this winter. Please support at Cambridgeshire Community foundation

Power Networks Priority Services Register

  • Do you rely on medical equipment, refrigerated medicines, or have children under five in your household? Then register on UK Power Networks Priority Services Register to ensure you receive extra support when you experience a power cut.

LEAP (the Local Energy Advice Partnership)

  • LEAP is a telephone advice service, helping people who meet their criteria by offering energy tariff comparisons, installing simple energy saving measures (such as LED lightbulbs and radiator reflector panels), and giving referrals to more complex energy saving measures.
  • See more information on support available for energy bills.
  • You can book an appointment with LEAP by visiting the LEAP website, or by calling their freephone: 0800 060 7657.


Government schemes

£150 rebate – Council Tax Bands A-D

£150 Energy rebate

  • The government has announced a £150 energy rebate for households in Council Tax bands A to D, and a national fund for councils to help households that do not qualify for the rebate.
  • This is not part of the Council Tax system, so it will be paid separately, and it will not show on your annual Council Tax bill
  • If you pay your Council Tax by direct debit and qualify for the £150 energy rebate, we will automatically credit this amount directly to your bank account. You do not need to do anything. 
  • If you don’t pay by direct debit, we ask you to complete a simple, short online form to request payment.

Energy Bill support scheme

Energy Bills Support Scheme

  • All Domestic electricity customers in Great Britain, atomically will receive a £200 reduction in their electricity costs from October 2022.
  • The energy bill reduction is not a loan. There will be no interest due, no debt attached and it will not affect your credit rating.
  • It’s a grant now with a levy on future bill payers- spreading some of the costs over a few years so they are more manageable for households.

Cold weather payment 2022

  • The Cold Weather Payment scheme runs from 1 November 2022 to 31 March 2023. You’ll get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees Celsius or below over 7 consecutive days. You’ll get £25 for each 7 day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March. 
  • You may get Cold Weather Payments if you’re getting: Pension Credit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Universal Credit, Support for Mortgage Interest For more information visit the government cold weather payment page.


Foodbanks near you 

Please see our Foodbanks and foodhubs page for more information.

Green Homes Grant

  • Aims to raise the energy efficiency of low income and low energy performance homes including off-gas grid homes.

Action on Energy

Cambridgeshire Green Homes Grant (arangroup.co.uk)

  • Provide grants to help-low income households install energy -efficiency improvements and low- carbon heating.

You, or your tenants if you are a landlord, must either have an annual household income less than £30,000 or receive one of the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Council Tax Reduction, excluding the 25% single-occupant reduction
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credit


Household Support Fund

Government Household Support Fund 

Support with food, household energy and other essentials for individuals and families. You are eligible to access this support through the Household Support Fund if you earn less than £17,940 per year or are in receipt of one of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

You may be able to access practical support with:

  • Food and essential supplies
  • Paying for gas, electricity, oil or water in your home
  • Other essential supplies, such as repairs to your boiler to help keep you and your family warm


Contact Details

Was this web page helpful?

Feedback form

Your feedback
Do you require feedback from a member of the team?
Your details