FreetoFeed - A breastfeeding friendly business initiative
All families and their children should feel free to breastfeed in public, anytime, anywhere.
This is the vision of the ‘Free to Feed’ campaign, which aims to helps breastfeeding and/or pumping mothers feel confident and relaxed when feeding their baby in public.
It also encourages businesses to sign up and pledge to be a ‘#FreeToFeedCP’ location, where mothers breastfeeding their little ones are openly welcomed to visit, especially if they feel like they need a safe space when out and about. More information for businesses can be found below.
Breastfeeding has amazing health benefits for both mother and child, but not every mum who wants to breastfeed has the support they need to do so. Here some breastfeeding mums explain why it is important to them, and why all mums should be free to feed in public:
FreeToFeed - campaign video from CCS NHS Trust on Vimeo
Nothing beats a recommendation from a happy customer. Breastfeeding mums who are able to sit anywhere while breastfeeding - and who receive a warm welcome from staff, management and customers - will come back, telling their friends and increasing repeat custom. Embracing and normalising breastfeeding will not only help boost your business, but will help improve the overall health of the population and create a better and healthier community for everyone.
How your business can participate
From making it clear that your business, workplace or venue is breastfeeding friendly with one of our #FreeToFeedCP stickers, to training your staff - there's plenty of actions you can take to support mothers who choose to breastfeed.
Start by signing our Pledge Form to join the campaign. This demonstrates that your business, venue or organisation is ready and willing to join our campaign and support breastfeeding and/or pumping mothers and families. We will get back in touch with you to share campaign materials, so make sure to leave your contact details.
If you have additional questions about the scheme, please contact email@example.com
Criteria for businesses joining our campaign
- Hold a staff awareness session to help all staff members understand and support breastfeeding and/or pumping mums.
- Display the Breastfeeding Friendly #FreeToFeedCP sticker/certificate.
- Respect a breastfeeding mother’s legal rights under the Equality Act 2010 to breastfeed in public without being discriminated against, which includes being asked to move or cover up.
- Respond sensitively and support mothers if inappropriate comments are made about breastfeeding and/or pumping.
- Provide a clean and comfortable environment to breastfeed in and also, if requested, a more private area. Toilet/changing facilities are not appropriate.
- Other small adaptations might include: easy access and a safe place to park a pram; baby-changing facilities for both mothers and fathers; a small play area or play activities to keep older children occupied while baby is being fed; a statement on your website to show your support.
Want to support our campaign?
Thank you for wanting to get involved! Normalising breastfeeding in public is something we can all help with through conversation and support.
Our campaign guides are a great place to start:
We want to understand your experiences of breastfeeding away from home. Please complete our questionnaire to help us learn more, so we can help improve your things.
Was this web page helpful?