Road and street maintenance

Road repairs

Road repairs, resurfacing, potholes, cutting of roadside verges and grassed areas within villages, snow clearance, gritting and salting, skip permits, roadside drains, mud on the road, overhanging trees, maintenance of road markings, signs, pavements, cycleways, bollards, road crossings, dropped kerbs and on-street car parking are all services provided / or carried out by Cambridgeshire County Council:

South and City Highways Division
Cambridgeshire County Council
Station Road
CB22 4NL

Telephone: 0345 045 5212

You can report problems on the highways include potholes, kerbs, verges, flooding, hedges and trees, public rights of way, road markings and signs and traffic signals by visiting the County Council's website

Roadworks and Road Closures

If you wish to find out more about works that affect the roads around Cambridgeshire, you can visit the County Councils website and view their interactive map.

Street lighting

To report a faulty street light ring the free phone number: 0800 783 8247 or report it via the County Council's website.

Please describe the following:

  • The SC (South Cambs) or CCC (Cambridge County Council) identification number (found on the plastic plate attached to the light), street name and village
  • The fault description (for example, out, lit during daytime or lamp dim)

To check whether a light is County Council or District Council please refer to Balfour Beatty's Existing Street Lighting website. Simply tick the "District or Parish light maintained by BB" box in the drop down menu.

Emergency faults, which are likely to cause an immediate risk to life or limb, should be reported to the police, either by telephoning the nearest police station or, in extreme emergencies, by dialling 999.

It is particularly helpful when we are made aware immediately of any damage caused by accident or vandalism.

A message about any routine faults can be left in the evenings and at weekends on the free phone number.

Tree maintenance

Trees that are not properly looked after can pose a danger to the public.

Dangerous, fallen or overhanging trees on the public highway is the responsibility of the County Council highways section who can be contacted on 0345 045 5212 or visit the County website to report a problem.

South Cambs District Council is only responsible for trees on land under its control. Typically this will be land used for council housing and communal areas. Please report any problems with trees on this land to Health and Environmental Services.

Was this web page helpful?