Northstowe Community Forum: 15 May 2019
The Northstowe Community Forum held 15 May 2019 started with a drop-in session where residents were able to talk to the architects of the new Western Park Sports Pavilion. Current preliminary plans include changing facilities, toilets and a club room with kitchen.
Before the main presentation Jon London, Northstowe Community Development Officer at South Cambridgeshire District Council gave an update on building works in Northstowe.
- The Northern Greenway, attached play areas and the Phase 1 formal park (Pioneer Park) are to be delivered by end of 2019.
- Pathways and construction work for Western Park (not the sports pavilion) is to be completed by September 2019. The grass pitches will need time to establish before access is possible.
- The Secondary School will open for Year 7 pupils in September 2019, although not all facilities will be completed at this point - there is a programme of staged delivery.
- The Secondary School sports facilities will open to the public May 2020.
- Southern Phase 1 Greenway, the path around the lake in the Eastern Water Park and the south-eastern play area will be delivered by the end of 2020.
- The first houses of Phase 2a are to be delivered in 2020.
Mark Latham, Regeneration Director and Bethan Owens, Acquisitions Manager from Urban Splash gave an informative update on their plans for ‘Inholm’, aka Northstowe Phase 2a. This will be constructed using their prefabricated modular construction system ‘House’. They believe this to have several advantages, including significantly quicker construction times, far greater flexibility in adapting homes to purchaser’s requirements and a greener build. They explained that this form of construction uses far less material in construction as the prefabricated segments are designed to be constructed in a factory setting with minimal waste from off-cuts. They stated that the homes are exceptionally energy efficient and could even be made zero carbon with the addition of a heat pump. Solar panels will be offered as an option.
Inholm will provide 406 dwellings in total. This will include 60 apartments for older people, in an affordable, age-exclusive development, plus 21 general needs affordable homes.
After a question from the audience Urban Splash clarified that "House" is a fully accredited system, and that customers are able to use standard mortgages.
Northstowe Secondary College
Andy Daly, Executive Principle, Cambridge Meridian Academies Trust (who also operate Swavesey Village College) and Carole Moss, Head of School, Northstowe Secondary College, gave an update on Northstowe Secondary College which is currently under construction.
- On schedule for 70 Year 7 pupils to start in September 2019.
- The 3G pitch and performance hall will be open for September 2019.
- The Sports Hall and Gym are expected to be completed in May 2020.
- Stirling Road will not be open to members of the public past the school; the construction traffic for Phase 2a and the school uses the southern access road, these roads not accessible to the public.
- Footpath to the school will be in place by the September opening.
There will be a turning circle provided for cars outside the school, but there may be an issue with parents dropping off pupils in Rampton Drift, to walk to school. This will be looked at by Longstanton Parish Council.
Was this web page helpful?