Support for the self-employed

This information was last checked on 27 July 2020.

To keep up-to-date on the guidance and support available to local businesses sign up to our business newsletter.

Self-employed Income Support Scheme

From 13 May 2020, self-employed individuals or members of partnerships whose business has been adversely affected by coronavirus have been able to apply for a Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) grant, worth 80% of their average monthly trading profits, up to a maximum of £2,500 per month.

The scheme has been extended. If you were eligible for the first grant and can confirm to HMRC that your business has been adversely affected on or after 14 July 2020, you’ll be able to make a claim for a second and final grant from 17 August 2020. 

The scheme allows you to claim a second and final taxable grant worth 70% of your average monthly trading profits, paid out in a single instalment covering 3 months’ worth of profits, and capped at £6,570 in total.

As with the first grant HMRC will contact you if you’re eligible. They will work out your eligibility for the second grant in the same way as the first grant.

You can make a claim for the second grant if you’re eligible, even if you did not make a claim for the first grant.

If you have not been contacted by HMRC and believe you may be eligible for SEISS, you can check if you can make a SEISS claim.

Scam awareness

If you receive texts, calls or emails claiming to be from HMRC, offering financial help or a tax refund and asking you to click on a link or to give personal information, it is a scam. You should email it to and then delete it.

Support if you are not eligible

If you are ineligible for the scheme, you may wish to consider making an application for Universal Credit. This is a payment to help with living costs, it is paid monthly and is calculated based on your household and income circumstances. Universal Credit can also help you with your housing costs.

Visit: GOV.UK - Universal Credit
Phone: 08003285644
Textphone: 08003281344

You can contact the Citizens Advice Bureau if you need help with the online process.

You could also consider other options to manage your finances, for example, applying for Council Tax Support or arranging a mortgage holiday with your bank. Shelter have published some useful housing advice for people who rent or own their homes.

Was this web page helpful?