How we collect extra recycling
Collecting extra recycling
We will collect one transparent sack with recycling (glass in the bin please) and/or one bundle of cardboard broken down to a size which would fit in the bin (with the lid closed) if there was space (please tape or tie together).
- Place other recycling in one transparent sack.
- Black/unclear sacks and more than one sack will not be collected. Transparent sacks are available online and in supermarkets
- Put any glass inside your blue bin, not the sack, for safety reasons
- Leave cardboard out in the rain. Soggy cardboard gets stuck to other materials making it hard to recycle.
If you always need to put out extra recycling, order an extra blue bin.
We have introduced these guidelines because we have new collection vehicles. They have higher openings than our old trucks, so we needed to change the way we collect extra recycling.
Our new vehicles with higher openings are:
- safer for staff
- help to prevent litter blowing out of the lorry
- make it easier to dislodge large items that sometimes get stuck inside the bins.
Crews will empty your blue bin and then refill it with your extra recycling and tip it again, rather than throw it in separately, which is no longer safe for them to do.
However, it may not always be possible to collect additional recycling if there is a high volume on your collection round or if there are traffic delays which jeopardise the completion of bin collections.
Was this web page helpful?