Changes affecting people of pension age from 15 May 2019

Currently if you are part of a couple you can make a claim for Pension Credit and Housing Benefit even if one of you have not reached Pension Credit age; this is the age you can receive your State Pension.

However, from 15 May 2019 if you or your partner have not reached Pension Credit age you will need to claim Universal Credit for help with your housing cost.

If you are already getting Pension Credit and have been continuously entitled to this before 15 May 2019 you can continue to claim Housing Benefit.

More information on claiming Universal Credit can be found on our Universal Credit information page.

For more information about the changes for mixed age couples please visit

Was this web page helpful?